Allergic contact dermatitis is caused by a reaction to substances called allergens that come into contact with your skin. In susceptible people, these contact allergens can cause itching, redness and blisters. Some of these allergens are nickel (metals), rubber, chromates, hair dyes, neomycin, skin care products and poisonous plants.

Treatment: Mild rashes that occur from allergic contact dermatitis usually respond to topical steroid creams and/or oral antihistamines that your dermatologist can prescribe. Severe rashes may need to be treated with systemic methods. If you are experiencing discomfort from a rash, please call our office for an appointment.